For more information on NRPA's certification programs, please click here.
What Certification Programs are Offered?
Certified Playground Safety Inspector (CPSI) - CPSIs are individuals certified to inspect playgrounds for safety hazards and to ensure compliance with national standards set by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). The CPSI Course is a preparatory tool for the CPSI Certification Examination. Registration Now Available-click here
• CPSI Course is a 2-day course offered two times a year in Illinois with a third-day exam.
• CPSI Examination can be taken in coordination with a CPSI Course or at computer-based testing facilities throughout the US.
• CPSI Examination is a 100 question exam (currently must achieve a 70 to pass)
• To become certified individuals must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or equivalent.
• CPSI Certification lasts for 3 years
• Renewal is achieved by successfully passing the CPSI Examination
• For further information contact Leesa Kuo Leesa@ilipra.org
Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) - CPRP certification is the national standard for all parks and recreation professionals who want to be at the forefront of their profession.
Qualifications to sit for the CPRP Examination:
• Have just received, or are set to receive, a Bachelor’s degree from a program accredited by the Council on Accreditation(Students who have not yet graduated from an COA accredited program with a major in recreation, park resources, and leisure services but are in their final semester on campus may be able to qualify for exam status)
• Have a Bachelor’s degree from any institution in recreation, park resources, or leisure services; and also have no less than 1 year of full-time experience in the field
• Have a Bachelor’s degree in a major other than recreation, park resources, or leisure services; and also have no less than 3 years of full-time experience in the field
• Have a high school degree or equivalent, and have 5 years of full-time experience in the field
**1 year of part-time work experience in the field (20 hours+ per week) = 6 months of full-time work experience in the field
• CPRP Certification is achieved by successfully passing the CPRP Certification Examination.
• CPRP Examination can be taken at computer-based testing facilities throughout the US.
• CPRP Examination is a 150 question exam – 25 questions are pre-test
• CPRP Certification lasts for 2 years
• Renewal is achieved by obtaining 2.0 CEUs within the 2 year certification cycle. CEUs must be achieved in topics highlighted by the CPRP core competencies and job tasks (i.e. programming, general administration, and operations management.
• Exam fees - $255 NRPA Members/$299 Non-NRPA Members
• Study materials include CPRP Study Guide, CPRP Practice Exam
NEW - Certified Park and Recreation Executive (CPRE) -The CPRE establishes a national standard for managerial, administrative and executive parks and recreation professionals. CPRE certification places you in the company of an elite group of parks and recreation managers and executives and connects you to the latest trends and information.
Qualifications to sit for the CPRE Examination:
• Have a current CPRP Certification and
• Have a Bachelors degree and 5 years of professional full-time manager experience or
• Have a Masters degree or higher and 4 years of professional full-time manager experience.
• CPRE Certification is achieved by successfully passing the CPRE Certification Examination.
• CPRE Examination can be taken at computer-based testing facilities throughout the US beginning March 2012.
• CPRE Examination is a 150 question exam – 25 questions are pre-test
• CPRE Certification lasts for 3 years
• Renewal is achieved by obtaining 3.0 CEUs within the 3 year certification cycle. CEUs must be achieved in topics highlighted by the CPRE core competencies and job tasks (Communication, Human Resources, Policies, etc.)
• Exam fees - $340 NRPA Members/$399 Non-NRPA Members
• Reference materials are listed in the CPRE Candidate Handbook to assist with examination preparation.
• For further information - www.nrpa.org/cpre
Study Assistance Offered Through IPRA
IPRA offers the following options for studying assistance for CPSI Course and Test, CPRP Prep Course and CPRE Prep Course.
click here to view our education calendar
Additional Study Assistance offered
• CPRP Study Session at annual conference in January
For additional information, please contact Matt Fairbanks at firstname.lastname@example.org